Sunday, February 17, 2008

Summer 2007






Hello Everyone,



As you can see we had a great summer visiting the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Park.

I suggest, if you haven't been there, you make it a point to visit.

Well, you all probably know that the Leukemia has come back. (Yes is does stink!) But, we must play the cards were dealt.

Ok to catch everyone up I want to share with you the past few months in a few short lines.

At a January visit with the hematologist, we found out significant changes in blood levels (low platelets and high white blood cells). We made a trip to Columbus to visit our CLL expert Dr. Byrd. As a result of more tests, we found that my bone marrow showed the presence of leukemia cells. It was time to come up with a treatment plan.


The plan:
1) Raise the platelet's with a 3 times a week for 4 weeks treatment with Rituxan. http://www.rituxan.com/lymphoma/index.jsp

2) Evaluate how I am doing after the 1 month

3) Start Chemo for up to 6 months to get into a Complete Remission. (Does not mean cure.)

4) Get a Stem Cell transplant from a donor. If you want to know what it is http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page.adp?item_id=5965. I would not get marrow but rather stem cells from blood. The procedure is actually pretty easy for the donor and receipent all we have to do is give and get blood. The transplant will most likely take place at OSU with a doctor that specializes in transplants with CLL patients. This would require a stay in Columbus for a minimum of 100 days.

The GOOD NEWS, if all goes according to plan I will be CURED of LEUKEMIA!

Really, Stem Cell Transplant can cure me of Leukemia which means the Leukemia is dead and gone and I can live a long fun filled life with my beautiful wife, Tammy, and great kids, Craig, Hannah, and Scott.

I plan to keep everyone posted by using this blog!

So, check back and leave messages or questions!

One last item to talk about before I post:

THIS IS ALL POSSIBLE BECAUSE GOD IS WALKING WITH ME EACH STEP OF THE WAY... PLEASE REMEMBER HOW GREAT HE REALLY IS!

Until we meet again! Gary

3 comments:

kris wenner said...

Hi Gary. Glad to hear that you've got one day down. I have a question for you.....are you for sure an allogenic recipient? Have your siblings been tested?
Dave stopped by on Saturday to see you and wish you well, but you weren't home.

Gary & Tammy said...

Kris,

I have had my sister tested and they don't match. I did have the registry checked 3 years ago and there were 34 matches at that time.

We want to find a perfect match who is 22-26, 6'4", blue eyes, sandy blond hair, born in the UK like me, incredibly good looking, and a great sense of humor. Do you know anybody that fits this..

Gary

Patti E. said...

Hi Gary,
I'm glad things went better today. Baby steps are exactly what you need - let's keep getting those.

Love ya,
Patti