Monday, September 29, 2008

On the Road Again!

We are on our way home from OSU and wanted to give a quick Tammy-style update. The doctors at OSU clearly recommend NOT getting a double cord blood transplant using the procedure followed at University of Minnesota. It has too much risk and not enough success with CLL patients.
A transplant is still recommended but a "mini transplant" not the "full transplant". We feel most comfortable having the transplant at Ohio State with a transplant doctor that specializes in CLL. In order to do a double cord blood transplant at OSU some "paperwork" needs to be approved. This process could take up to 6 months. During this waiting period it would be nice if an adult donor is found. It would also be nice for the CLL to stay in control in Gary's body.
Thats the quick update for now!
Tammy
PS. Gary went on his first business trip since January last week. He forgot/did not pack the Purell. He spent the weekend in bed with a fever and bad cold. He is feeling better today with the help of antibiotics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not certain but I believe I passed you at OSU on Monday. Were you getting weighed/checked in around lunch sometime? I have followed your Blog since I am a relatively young CLL patient and Dr. Byrd is also my physician. I met Randy from the CLL Christian Friends group on Monday at OSU and I know Mike and Cindy Warren arrived shortly after we left. I was surprised to learn of so many of us at OSU on the same date.

I pray you will have clear guidance as you debate the pros and cons about transplant. Stacie